Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Choice"

Two weeks ago we got a chance to see our little baby in a sonagram and found out that it's probably a girl... based on that I'm naming her "Blossom" for the blog (her real name is much prettier:-)).  I offered to help a pregnancy center train their staff to look at sonograms so we got a sonogram that was an hour long and lots of cool pictures of her toes, hands, face, and etc... it was so much fun! 

Everytime I am pregnant it bothers me even more that people can take abortion so lightly in our culture.  The technicians that were working with me told me that there is a 80% likelihood that a mother (who already decided to have an abortion) will decide to not have an abortion when they see a sonogram of their child.  They told me that most mothers actually believe it's just a "blob growing inside them" until the end when the baby comes out. When they see the face and fingers and toes in the sonogram they finally realize it's a child inside of them.

    How can people think that????  Yes, I was raised in a pro-life home and homeschooled and I suppose that may have something to do with it but how can our schools and surroundings indoctrinate us so much that we don't realize that at 16 weeks our babies have had fingerprints for weeks, have toes and hands, and already show a bit of their own personality.  Our baby was so sweet, she was curling up and twisting around and covering her face like she was trying to get comfortable.  I can already feel her kick Buddy when he's on my lap and "squishing" her too much.  I can see that she has a different personality from our son in the way she moves around - he was kicking and swimming and going to town during his sonogram and she was much more laid back but just looked like she was snuggling to get comfortable.  Blossom is a baby that for now just needs some more time to grow inside of me... I cannot fathom how anyone when faced with the truth can feel otherwise about their child.

    "Freedom of Choice" is such a foolish phrase to use for it, and I can't understand how our culture can support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment