Friday, February 25, 2011

A Father's Pride

One of the many characteristics of my husbands' relationship with our son that I adore is his pride in our little boy.  Buddy is 10 months old now and I was reminded today how proud my husband is of our son and how fun it is to watch. 

- Every time we get around people we know that haven't seen Buddy in a while, Daddy wants to carry him into the house/place/room.  Don't get me wrong, he always loves holding his son, but he makes a special point to when there is someone new to meet his "little boy".

- Buddy's just a baby but you should see Daddy's eyes beam when he talks about him.

- When Buddy learns something new, Daddy is the first to share it with others - and he always wants to know whatever new thing Buddy has figured out each day.  I'm sure the rest of the world is sick of hearing about it from us.

- When we are both in the room, Daddy is usually the first to realize that Buddy is doing something new or purposefully. 

  The beauty of my husband's relationship with our son is that even though he is ridiculously proud of Buddy, and loves to make him happy - Buddy knows that "Daddy means business" when Daddy says "No" - even more than Mommy.  When Daddy says "No." Buddy jumps back, checks his hands (to make sure he stopped touching the forbidden object), finds Daddy's eyes, opens his hands (to show they are empty) and lights up his whole face with a smile for Daddy.  I love it.

    Their relationship reminds me of how much our Heavenly Father loves us and how we should respond to His training and discipline immediately but knowing that we are loved with an everlasting love - and just bask in the sunshine of His face. I believe that God treasures us as His own when we are washed white as snow and wants to show us to the world - "This is my beloved Son"... as He said of Christ - and I believe that as He sees us spotless (in Christ) He wants to say the same of us - "This is my beloved daughter"... and it makes me want to work all the harder to please my Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment